Chairman's Report 2004
On behalf of your Board I am delighted to report that for the year ended 30 June 2004, the company has produced earnings before tax of $783,030 and a tax paid profit of $540,046. The earnings before tax are made up of an operating surplus from grape growing of $986,819 and a reduction in the revaluation of vines of $203,789, resulting from the current stage of the replanting programme. As a result, the Board has declared a gross dividend of 15 cents per share. This will be paid as a fully imputed net dividend at 10.05 cents per share on 7th December 2004.
Despite having commenced the replanting programme in July 2003, suffering some early frosts in October 2003 and the wettest and windiest February since records began, a record crop of 917 tonnes was harvested against a budgeted 525 tonnes. Whilst the Marlborough region overall enjoyed a bumper crop this vintage, Seddon Vineyards? result was exceptional. The Board acknowledges the outstanding work performed by vineyard manager Carl Jackson and his team in achieving this result.
Under normal growing conditions, and having just completed the second stage of the replanting programme, it is expected that the 2005 harvest will be in the vicinity of 560 tonnes.
A total of 49,400 plants have now been replaced with grafted vines and the final 25,000 plants are due for replanting after the 2005 harvest. The vines planted in 2003 should crop at approximately 25 percent in 2005 and will reach full production in 2007. The vines planted to date are showing good growth rates and are in a healthy condition.
The property was again valued in accordance with our accounting policy. The valuer, Hadley & Lyall Limited of Blenheim, has ascribed an unchanged current market value of $9,000,000 (2003 $9,000,000) to the property. This value has been incorporated into the financial accounts. This has effectively resulted in an amount equivalent to the replanting costs incurred during the year being taken up in the Equity Account.
The Directors? policy in regards to dividends is that they only be paid when it is financially prudent to do so. Given the company?s strong balance sheet and higher level of profitability for the current year, the Directors have resolved to pay the Company?s second dividend at 15 cents gross per share, in December 2004.
The Board has placed Seddon Vineyards Ltd on the ?Unlisted? shares website (www.unlisted.co.nz) to provide a trading platform for shareholders. A list of participating brokers is available on the web site. For advice on trading your shares I recommend that you consult your financial advisor or sharebroker.
We have recently launched our own Web Site (www.seddonvineyards.co.nz). This is intended to be an information source for existing and potential shareholders. I encourage you to view the site and make use of this convenient method of communication.
The Board has met regularly throughout the year to deal with issues such as;
- annual budgets
- the vineyard management plan
- the replanting program
- monitoring financial performance
- negotiation of grape prices.
This year Andrew Pearson comes up for re-election and has indicated that he is available for re-election.
I personally wish to thank my fellow directors, Ian Montgomerie and Andrew Pearson, for their contribution and assistance over the last twelve months. I also wish to record my thanks to Alan O?Sullivan, the Company Secretary for the efficient way in which he manages the operation of the Board, our financial affairs, the shareholders correspondence, our shareholder register and the company affairs in general.
A major part of the business is the operation of the Management and Supply agreement that we have with Villa Maria. They are nothing but supportive in their role as vineyard managers with Seddon Vineyards. I wish to thank George Fistonich and his team for their enthusiastic and professional support in assisting the company in its record year of production. It has been a milestone year for the vineyard and as much as we would like this to continue, we look forward with caution. We are conscious of the effect of the high exchange rate on the wine industry and are aware that the world outlook for wine prices is not overly optimistic. However, the 2004 vintage will go down as exceptional in terms of both the quantity of grapes harvested and the dollar return achieved.
Seddon Vineyards of Marlborough Limited
To view the full annual report click here
- 2023 Annual Report Released
- 2023 Harvest Announcement
- Board of Directors Changes
- Update on our two vineyards in the Hawke’s Bay
- Hawke's Bay Floods
- Board of Directors changes
- 2022 Annual Report Released
- 2022 Result released
- Annual General Meeting
- 2022 Harvest Announcement
- Chairman's Address at the 2021 AGM
- 2021 Annual Meeting results
- Annual Meeting to go online
- 2021 Annual Report
- 2021 Harvest Announcement
- 2020 Annual Report
- Release of 2020 result
- 2020 Harvest Announcement
- 2019 AGM Presentation
- Announcement of Lease of land at Seddon
- 2019 Annual Report
- 2018 AGM Presentation
- 2018 Annual Report
- 2018 Annual Report release date
- 2018 Harvest Announcement
- 2017 AGM Presentations
- 2017 Annual Report
- TVV 2017 Result and Dividend Announcement
- 2016 AGM Presentations
- 2016 Annual Report
- TVV achieves record profit for the year ended 30 June 2016 and announces increase in dividend
- 2016 Harvest Announcement
- 2015 AGM Presentations
- Seddon Harvest 2015
- Field Day 2016
- 2015 Annual Report and AGM
- 2014 AGM Presentations
- 2014 Annual Report and AGM
- 2013 AGM Presentations
- 2013 Annual Report and AGM
- 2012 AGM Presentations
- 2012 Annual Report & AGM
- Appointment of Alternate Director
- 2011 AGM Presentations
- 2011 Annual Report and AGM
- 2010 AGM Presentations
- 2010 Annual Report and AGM
- September 2010 - Update from the Chairman and the Vineyards
- Company Constitution
- 2009 AGM Presentations
- 2009 Annual Report
- Update from the Chairman and vineyards
- 2008 AGM Presentations
- Terra Vitae announces record $3.2m profit for 2008
- Terra Vitae announces record crop
- Terra Vitae Annual Report 2007
- Shareholders vote "yes" to Marlborough Property purchase
- July 2007 Property Purchase Proposal 24.07.07
- July 2007 Property Purchase Proposal
- 2006 Annual Report Released
- Amalgamation Proposal
- Chairmans Report 2005
- Chairman's Report 2004
- 2005 Annual Report Released